MND-SMART (Motor Neurone Disease – systematic multi-arm adaptive randomisation trial) is looking to understand whether certain medications currently used to treat other conditions, could be used to help slow down the progression of motor neurone disease.
It is being carried out by a team based at the Euan Mac Donald Centre for MND Research at the University of Edinburgh.
- Aged 18+
- Diagnosed with MND
- Under the care of Manchester MND Care Centre and a consultant at Salford Royal (part of the Northern Care Alliance)
- Two clinic appointments, which will include a range of tests (blood sample, ECG etc) as well as a questionnaire about symptoms and experience of MND
- These will be followed up by several telephone appointments
- Taking one of the trial medications or a placebo*
* Participants will be randomly selected to receive one of the study medications or a placebo. All participants would continue to take their usual prescribed medications.
- 31 August 2022