Resource and recognition
Repository of resources for Research for the Future including downloadable newsletters, leaflets, and posters.
- Information for researchers
- Promotional materials (including leaflets and posters)
- Research for the Future
- Help BEAT Coronavirus
- Help BEAT Diabetes
- Help BEAT Heart Disease
- Help BEAT Kidney Disease
- Help BEAT Respiratory Disease
- Awards and commendations
Information for research, health and other staff
- Communications Toolkit and Asset Folder [v1, May 22]
- Information for researchers (leaflet) [v8, Jun 22]
- An online Training Package for health and care staff [v2, Apr 23]
Promotional materials (including leaflets and posters)
To download copies of our materials, choose from the options below. If you want hard copies for distribution in your clinics, please contact us. Please note that these documents are provided in PDF format for the purposes of promotional activity and all information contained in the documents is available elsewhere on this website.
Research for the Future
- Take part in research (leaflet) [v1, Feb 21]
- Take part in research (poster) [Jul 21]
- Take part in research – QR code (poster) [Apr 22]
- Welcome to Research for the Future (leaflet) [v6, Apr 22]
- Your NHS Number [v4, Apr 22]
- Registration card [v4, Apr 22]
- Help BEAT campaigns (leaflet) [v1, May 19]
- Help BEAT campaigns (poster) [Aug 19]
- Promotional video
Help BEAT Coronavirus
Help BEAT Diabetes
Help BEAT Heart Disease
Help BEAT Kidney Disease
Help BEAT Respiratory Disease
Our newsletter is published at least twice a year – please click on the issue number to download. Please note that older issues of our newsletter were originally provided in a printed format rather than digital, and are provided in PDF format for archive purposes only.
- Issue #14, February 2023
- Issue #13, Summer 2022
- Issue #12, Summer 2021
- Issue #11, May 2020
- Issue #10, Autumn 2019
- Issue #9, Spring 2019
- Issue #1 to #8, November 2012-Spring 2018 [archive]
Awards and commendations
- NIHR CRN Greater Manchester Awards (2019) Best Public Engagement Contribution, Winner
- Quality in Care Diabetes Award (2019) Diabetes Collaboration Initiative of the Year (Adults), Highly Commended
- NIHR Digital Festival Awards (2019) Social Engagement Pioneer, Highly Commended
- NCA NHS Group Equality (2018) Diversity and Inclusion Champion Award, Runner-up
- NIHR CRN Greater Manchester Awards (2108) Public Engagement 2018, Runner-up
- NIHR CRN Greater Manchester Awards (2017) Public Engagement 2017, Runner-up
- NIHR Let’s Get Digital Awards (2017) Best Website, Winner
- Quality in Care Diabetes Awards (2016) Diabetes Collaboration Initiative of the Year, Highly Commended
- NIHR CRN Greater Manchester Awards (2016) Outstanding Contribution: Going the Extra Mile, Winner
- NIHR CRN Greater Manchester Awards (2016) Public Engagement, Winner
- NIHR CRN Greater Manchester Awards (2015) Research Impact, Runner-up
The following publications have recognised the contribution Research for the Future and their volunteers have made to the study. Where possible, we link to open-access journals that can be freely accessed online. Links will open in a new window. Research for the Future is not responsible for the content of external sites.
- Rathod, S 2023, Happiness and Resilience: Through a Global lens. [YouTube] Available at: https://youtu.be/HEPsko-B6Lw [Accessed 27 Jun. 2023].
- Abbott, C.A., Chatwin, K.E., Rajbhandari, S.M., John, K.M., Pabbineedi, S., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J.M. and Reeves, N.D. (2022). Site-Specific, Critical Threshold Barefoot Peak Plantar Pressure Associated with Diabetic Foot Ulcer History: A Novel Approach to Determine DFU Risk in the Clinical Setting. Medicina, [online] 58(2), p.166.
- Ashby, B.S. and Jones, M.D. (2022). A discrete choice experiment to identify patient preferences for the provision of NHS medicines helpline services. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 30(Supplement_1), pp.i26–i27.
- Newington, L., Alexander, C.M., Kirby, P., Saggu, R.K. and Wells, M. (2022). Reflections on contributing to health research: A qualitative interview study with research participants and patient advisors. PLOS ONE, 17(12), p.e0279354. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0279354.
- Stedman, M., Eltom, S., Solomon, E., Rea, R., Grady, K., Chaudhury, N., Brown, S., Paisley, A., Gadsby, R. and Heald, A.H. (2022). Living with diabetes and its impact on mental health: results of an online survey. Cardiovascular Endocrinology & Metabolism, [online] 11(2), p.e0262
- Stewart, C., Piernas, C., Frie, K., Cook, B. and Jebb, S.A. (2022). Evaluation of OPTIMISE (Online Programme to Tackle Individual’s Meat Intake Through Self-regulation): Cohort Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, [online] 24(12), p.e37389. doi:10.2196/37389.
- Waheed, U., Heald, A.H., Stedman, M., Solomon, E., Rea, R., Eltom, S., Gibson, J.M., Grady, K., Nouwen, A., Rayman, G. and Paisley, A. (2022). Distress and Living with Diabetes: Defining Characteristics Through an Online Survey. Diabetes Therapy. doi:10.1007/s13300-022-01291-3.
- Adeyemi, I. (2021). Designing an intervention to reduce sedentary time in adults with physical-mental multimorbidity. [online] The University of Manchester. Manchester.
- Chatwin, K.E., Abbott, C.A., Rajbhandari, S.M., Reddy, P.N., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J. and Reeves, N.D. (2021). An intelligent insole system with personalised digital feedback reduces foot pressures during daily life: an 18-month randomised controlled trial. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, [online]
- McDiarmid, S., Harvie, M., Johnson, R., Vyas, A., Aglan, A., Moran, J., Ruane, H., Hulme, A., Sellers, K. and Issa, B.G. (2021). Manchester Intermittent versus Daily Diet App Study (MIDDAS): A pilot randomized controlled trial in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism.
- McDiarmid, S., Harvie, M., Johnson, R., Vyas, A., Aglan, A., Moran, J., Ruane, H., Hulme, A., Sellers, K. and Issa, B. (2021). Intermittent Versus Continuous Low-Energy Diet in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: Protocol for a Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Research Protocols, [online] 10(3), p.e21116.
- Newington, L., Alexander, C.M. and Wells, M. (2021). Would you like to be contacted about future research? BMC Research Notes, 14(1)
- Rathod, S., Pallikadavath, S., Graves, E., Rahman, M.M., Brooks, A., Soomro, M.G., Rathod, P. and Phiri, P. (2021). Impact of lockdown relaxation and implementation of the face-covering policy on mental health: A United Kingdom COVID-19 study. World Journal of Psychiatry, [online] 11(12), pp.1346–1365.
- Sharma, N. (2021). Factors affecting foot loading and ulcer risk in diabetes patients. [online] Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Stedman, M., Rea, R., Duff, C.J., Livingston, M., McLoughlin, K., Wong, L., Brown, S., Grady, K., Gadsby, R., Gibson, J.M., Paisley, A., Fryer, A.A. and Heald, A.H. (2021). The experience of blood glucose monitoring in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism.
- Stedman, M., Rea, R., Livingston, M., McLoughlin, K., Wong, L., Brown, S., Grady, K., Gadsby, R., Paisley, A. and Heald, A. (2021). People with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) Self-Reported Views on Their Own Condition Management Reveal a High Level of Insight into the Challenges Faced. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, p.193229682110092.
- Bartlett, Y.K., Farmer, A., Rea, R. and French, D.P. (2020). Use of Brief Messages Based on Behavior Change Techniques to Encourage Medication Adherence in People With Type 2 Diabetes: Developmental Studies. Journal of Medical Internet Research, [online] 22(5), p.e15989.
- Hassan, L., Dalton, A., Hammond, C. and Tully, M.P. (2020). A deliberative study of public attitudes towards sharing genomic data within NHS genomic medicine services in England. Public Understanding of Science, [online] p.096366252094213.
- Perazzolo, M., Reeves, N.D., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J.M., Raffi, M. and Marple-Horvat, D.E. (2020). A new approach to identifying the effect of diabetic peripheral neuropathy on the ability to drive safely. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 69, pp.324–334.
- Stedman, M., Rea, R., Duff, C., Livingston, M., McLoughlin, K., Wong, L., Brown, S., Grady, K., Gadsby, R., Paisley, A., Fryer, A. and Heald, A. (2020). People with Type Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM) self-reported views on their own condition management reveal links to potentially improved outcomes and potential areas for service improvement. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, p.108479.
- Stedman, M., Rea, R., Duff, C.J., Livingston, M., Brown, S., Grady, K., McLoughlin, K., Gadsby, R., Paisley, A., Fryer, A.A. and Heald, A.H. (2020). Self-Reported Views on Managing Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, [online] p.193229682093777.
- Abbott, C.A., Chatwin, K.E., Foden, P., Hasan, A.N., Sange, C., Rajbhandari, S.M., Reddy, P.N., Vileikyte, L., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J.M. and Reeves, N.D. (2019). Innovative intelligent insole system reduces diabetic foot ulcer recurrence at plantar sites: a prospective, randomised, proof-of-concept study. The Lancet Digital Health, 1(6), pp.e308–e318.
- Alrdahe, S., Al Sadoun, H., Torbica, T., McKenzie, E.A., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J.M. and Mace, K.A. (2019). Dysregulation of macrophage development and phenotype in diabetic human macrophages can be rescued by Hoxa3 protein transduction. PLOS ONE, [online] 14(10), p.e0223980.
- Fletcher, B., Hinton, L., McManus, R. and Rivero-Arias, O. (2019). Patient preferences for management of high blood pressure in the UK: a discrete choice experiment. British Journal of General Practice, p.bjgp19X705101.
- Grady, K., Gibson, M. and Bower, P. (2019). Can a ‘consent to contact’ community help research teams overcome barriers to recruitment? The development and impact of the ‘Research for the Future’ community. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 19(1).
- Hindi, A. (2019). An investigation into the awareness, demand and use of community pharmacy services for people with long-term conditions. [online].
- Perazzolo, M., Reeves, N.D., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J.M., Raffi, M. and Marple‐Horvat, D.E. (2019). Altered accelerator pedal control in a driving simulator in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabetic Medicine.
- Petrovic, M., Maganaris, C.N., Deschamps, K., Verschueren, S.M., Bowling, F.L., Boulton, A.J.M. and Reeves, N.D. (2018). Altered Achilles tendon function during walking in people with diabetic neuropathy: implications for metabolic energy saving. Journal of Applied Physiology, 124(5), pp.1333–1340.
- Purewal, R. and Fisher, P.L. (2018). The contribution of illness perceptions and metacognitive beliefs to anxiety and depression in adults with diabetes. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 136, pp.16–22.
- Reeves, N.D., Brown, S.J., Petrovic, M., Boulton, A.J.M. and Vileikyte, L. (2017). How Does Self-Perceived Unsteadiness Influence Balance and Gait in People With Diabetes? Preliminary Observations. Diabetes Care, 40(5), pp.e51–e52.
- Stevens, S.L. (2017). Improving cardiovascular risk prediction through more accurate and alternative methods of blood pressure measurement. [online] Ox.ac.uk.
- Stocks, S.J., Donnelly, A., Esmail, A., Beresford, J., Gamble, C., Luty, S., Deacon, R., Danczak, A., Mann, N., Townsend, D., Ashley, J., Bowie, P. and Campbell, S.M. (2018). Development and piloting of a survey to estimate the frequency and nature of potentially harmful preventable problems in primary care from a UK patient’s perspective. BMJ Open, 8(2), p.e017786.
- Petrovic, M., Deschamps, K., Verschueren, S.M., Bowling, F.L., Maganaris, C.N., Boulton, A.J.M. and Reeves, N.D. (2016). Is the metabolic cost of walking higher in people with diabetes? Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md.: 1985), [online] 120(1), pp.55–62.