This study wants to find out whether medications currently prescribed to treat people with diabetes and heart problems could be used to prevent heart problems.
It is being carried out by a team of researchers at the University of Vienna, with the University of Glasgow and NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde acting on their behalf in the UK.
- Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for more than six months
- Do not have any cardiovascular conditions (e.g. previous stroke, heart attack, heart failure, abnormal heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation)
- Attending four clinic visits over two years with occasional telephone calls to monitor your health
- Clinic appointments will last between 30 and 60 minutes and include a range of tests (eg blood and urine samples, health and blood pressure checks) as well as questions about lifestyle and medical history
- Being randomly selected to receive two commonly prescribed medications (or their strength increased if you already take them) or continue with your usual treatment
- Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed for all clinic visits.
- 31 December 2023