Pomegranate extract and inflammageing
This study will measure the effects of pomegranate extract supplements on blood pressure, cholesterol, and inflammation, as well as muscle and brain function.
Findings from this project will be used to inform future research looking at the combination of antioxidants and lifestyle factors (such as physical activity) on healthy ageing.
It is being carried out by a team based at the Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU).
- Healthy volunteers, aged 55-70
- BMI between 18.5 and 29.9
- No diagnosis of:
- metabolic disease (eg diabetes, high blood pressure)
- heart disease
- renal or kidney disease
- liver disease
- Not currently taking any medications that could affect inflammation (eg statins, steroids, aspirin, ibuprofen etc)
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)
Taking part will involve:
- taking a daily supplement for 12 weeks *
- completing a food diary on three occasions during the study period
- attending three appointments during a 12-week period, to include a range of tests (eg body measurements, blood pressure, physical and cognitive) as well as completing a short questionnaire about lifestyle. Each appointment will last approx. 90 minutes
- Participants will receive a £50 Amazon voucher when they finish the study.
* Participants will be randomly selected to receive either the study supplement (pomegranate extract) or a placebo
- 31 December 2023