PONTIAC II : prevention of cardiac events in diabetic patients
A study to find out whether medications currently prescribed to treat people with diabetes and heart problems could be used to prevent heart problems in people with diabetes who do not currently have any heart disease.
- Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for more than six months
- Do not have any cardiovascular conditions (e.g. previous stroke, heart attack, heart failure, abnormal heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation)
North Manchester General Hospital, Crumpsall, M8 5RB
- Attending four clinic visits over two years. Each visit will last between 30 and 90 minutes. You will also receive occasional telephone calls to follow your health throughout the study.
- Clinic appointments will include medical history, physical examinations, giving blood and urine samples, heart and blood pressure checks and questionnaires about your quality of life.
- Being randomly chosen to receive two commonly prescribed medications (or their strength increased if you already take them) or continue with your usual treatment.